Thursday, September 2, 2010

...and now for the first time ever...

So finally, my first post from Bath. It was supposed to be a all happy, "everything's perfect" post, but it's not. Instead it's a post, for which my oldest English teacher would love me. It builds up suspense it has a climax and it has a turning point. And since ladies are reading this, it has a happy end in which the beautiful daughter finds the love of her life and they live perfectly ever after.
So let me just start:
My dad and I drove to Bath in his car, well actually we drove to Calais after he had to work a full day. So I drove to Calais. It all went well except 150km from Calais there was a little bit of a traffic jam. Turns out, it was not so little, and it took us more than an hour to pass it. So we where pretty short on time. Well, you all know we got the ferry since this is my first post, and it's not late enough so that you would assume anything else. At the ferry, we fell asleep for a few minutes, and woke up, and fell asleep again. Not so much a good night sleep. Well, we drove of the ferry and decided that we'd sleep after we passed London. 50km later, we realized, that was not such a good Idea, and we exited the motorway right away, and fell asleep in the car for about 2-3 hours. After that, my dad started driving, and I did not really realize it, but I slept for another solid hour or two. I drove the last few miles, and we arrived Bath early at around 6 I guess. The next thing was, we had to find the House. I will not bore you with that story. It ended with a new map of Bath for me (yay) and us finding the house at 8:30am.
Not enough suspension built up yet? Ok, then let's move on. Anton opened the door, one of the other tenants. Nope he's not a serial killer or anything. He showed me the house. The living room is beautiful, full of cables at the moment - I hope that all stops once a TV's here, and the other people. Then he showed my the kitchen, which was so full of dirty dishes, It first looked pretty bad. But actually it's a nice new kitchen which, if everybody does a bit to it isn't very hard to keep clean. He went upstairs, and he's shown me my room.




It is so small, not even two people can stand in it. Frankly I really was shocked by that. "Ok, what to do now? There's no way that is really my room, there's no way I can have guests." Well, we had our good morning coffee, which really helped keeping the eyes open, and decided explore the neighbourhood first. We were really hungry, and we where happy to find a small shopping mall with some bakeries. We had two fresh but not mind-blowing sandwiches, and kept walking and talking. It was a good thing my dad was here, because he kept me from going crazy about what you've seen above.
We went home, had another coffee, set up the internet - 50mbps *STRIKE* - and decided to drive to the University of Bath. Good thing we did, we've seen some of the most beautiful landscape in the UK (since I have mislead us yet again), and we've seen the by far most beautiful University I've been to. I will show you photos of it, as soon as my father send them to me. We drove back to the city, and wanted to see the city centre. (which cost us 2,30gbp to park). The city of Bath is marvellous. Hopefully my dad will send me the pictures as well. We made the classical tourist tour in those red double-decker-buses everyone knows, and realized it was only 2pm. Since we were both really tired, it seemed like 8pm or so. I drove the car back home and returned to the city by foot to enjoy the rest of the day in Bath. It's really beautiful, and 2 hours are just not enough to see enough of it.
Walking to the city, is basically just walking downhill, and took me about 30-35minutes. I obviously didn't take the fastest way...
We had a Guinness and something to eat, and went home at around 6 - well it took us more then 30min, rather 45min to get home. And it is all uphill. That'll be good for my figure and my vitality.
Well all in all that was quite a nice day, It was exhausting no question, and I have decided to wait another day before thinking too much about the what if's.
The next day arrived, and after a cup of coffee, I went to the university again. This time for requesting my library card, and opening my bank account, and a few other things. It took approximately one Minute for me to hold my own personal library card in my hands. Why's that so special? It is like a debit-card with my picture on it, and it counts as my "Studentenausweis". Then we headed over to the Bank, well there are four different in one building on campus, and my favourite was there, too. We went in, and without any proof of anything, I've opened a bank account. You will not get any of this non bureaucratic stuff in Germany. But anyways, we checked the sports on Campus: They have like 10 Soccerfields (grass!!) for what seems to be like free use, two large halls for Indoor sports, two fitnesscenters, and some artificial turf places. Awesome!
After driving me to and from university, my dad left, and is on his way back to Germany right now. I went shopping and made my first meal in England. Which led to those cheap camera photos of my direct neighbourhood.





Tonight, the guys and I will maybe have a drink here or will head out to have one in the city. Don't know yet, but I am ready to find out.

I hope you've all understood what the turning point was (and nope, it was not the Guinness), and I guess you would all give me a straight A for this essay. If not, then you will never be a good teacher and you have never learned anything useful yourself. Just kidding.

I'll try to work the pics into this Blog a little better, too.

Cheers,

3 comments:

  1. i guess, it's an A+ ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, of course. At least a A+ and your room looks nice at the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems like I have a career as a salesmen then - letting small things seem big, maybe even a cosmetic surgeon :O
    It really is tiny, and I really cannot show how tiny it is, maybe I'll let two of the guys stay in the room, while I make a picure ;)

    ReplyDelete