Monday, September 20, 2010

Dusk

I just went jogging an hour ago or so. It was just beautiful to see the city of Bath in the twilight. This morning I've had the pleasure to see the dawn, too. Nothing much happened, the rest of the day. Why did I go out at 9pm? Well, I had to buy electricity in the supermarket. Nope, I am not joking, you actually buy electricity kind of the same way you top up your pre-paid mobile phone. For that to work you have something that looks very similar to a USB stick and take that to the supermarket. You give it to the cashier and tell him how much you want to top up and you pay the money directly with your other goods.
That much for the informational party of my story.
Now let's hear the whole story: I arrived at the Coop after dusk, so it really was dark outside. On my way down, there were lots of students on the street drinking, so I figured I'll be asked for my ID, since I wanted to buy some beer, too. Being asked for your ID isn't unusual in England. I find that very convenient. Especially when you're threatened to be prosecuted if you buy alcohol or tobacco for minors.
Well, so I bought a pack of beer, and after showing my drivers licence I asked the really friendly cashier if she would top up my electricity, and that I never did that before. She told me she could not do that, she was afraid and told me where in this shop I could do that. Eventually there are two different types of cashpoints.
So I went to the right one. He didn't ask for my ID since he has heard my conversation with the lady. I handed him my MasterCard since my English debit card still has not arrived. "ERROR"
I was shocked, why would they not take my MasterCard? The queue behind me was getting longer, and I had no clue why they would not take my card. I bought stuff in that Coop some days ago, and it has never been a problem. Well, after what felt like two hours, the machine finally accepted my credit card, and I was happily headed back home.
At home I had to plug the "electricity-top-up"-stick in the port on the fuse box, which oddly is outside of the house (accessible to almost everyone). Of cause it's locked, but still...
After about two seconds, the top-up amount was shown, and after another five seconds the new balance was shown. We have now 18GBP worth of electricity - strange unit, but it works.

Hopefully I'll come up with something smashing and extraordinary on my next update, but until then, lets enjoy the small things.
Ah, and by the way: I've got a job offer, I could be a tutor for Algebra 1 or 2, but I guess I won't accept it, in the first semester. Instead I'll be sitting in on three or four English lectures which will not count towards my diploma, but hopefully I can profit from them.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment