Friday, September 3, 2010

Sitting in the Library

I'm just bored, so I've decided to write some things. Today I really wanted to go to UoB, well, I had to since I had to finish up with my bank account set up. What an adventure. First a good twenty minute walk down to the bus stop. At least I caught an early bus, then a thirty minute drive to University, seems like the fast Buses only drive during semester, but I don't really mind that. We drove through the entire city centre, just like the red buses the day before yesterday, which was kind of good, since I've seen the connection between my home, the city and the university finally. Not that I'd say I wouldn't still go all the wrong way sometimes. Setting up my bank account was as easy as ever, German banks should do it the same way and not the "if the form is not complete, we cannot help you" kind of way. But that isn't that important I guess. I have an account finally, and I am really happy about it. Also it is about time, since I am stuck in England with about twenty five pounds now, and I really do not want to pick money from my master card.
Hopefully my dad's return went well, it's strange to not being able to talk that easily to my family. Hopefully sometime tonight we can Skype (ha ha - hope they are reading this, or my sister is to tell them).
I'm just thinking about what to eat tonight, maybe the guys and I can even make some real dinner tonight, that helps a lot with my huge problems in English day-to-day communication. Yesterday Anton and I made Sandwiches, which was kinda nice, since it's just toast, cheese, ham, any vegetables we had in the fridge, ketchup and mayonnaise. And even I liked it - which is surprising, since I don't like ham, the English cheese, ketchup or mayonnaise. But surprisingly, it was really nice. And it should be by far the cheapest way for dinner, since my lunch cost 2,5 pounds, and it was a special offer...
But that is Britain in a way. You'll notice how expensive life can be. In Kaiserslautern I could eat and drink in the Mensa for 2,5pounds, and still have money left for a pudding, here, it suffices for just the main course of the meal. At the university, there is no such thing that would compare to a Mensa, nor is there a real comparison to student prices. It is not that expensive compared to the city centre, but come on, 1,4 for a small coffee - are you kidding me? In Germany I'd get two large ones at the university bistro. Well, never mind that. Fact is: It's expensive. But it's not all bad. I didn't eat bad food yet, and I'm in the mood to even try fish and chips on my way home later.
There are several different options on buses for students, the two main possibilities are to get a number of rides, or to get a time period. Since I life far away from the city centre, and far away from university, I'm quite sure I'll take the 13 week pass, which costs 80GBP and if I buy them as soon as I have my banking account I'll have three of those for the whole year which gives me 240GBP for 39 weeks. The "year" option, which costs 249GBP lasts 36 weeks. What's up with that? I guess no reasonable person can explain the logic of that, but maybe it's to make the students think "Hey I'am saving" while they in fact would be paying way too much.
Well for just being bored the article has gotten really long, so I'll stop here, and look for more things to do the next couple of days in Bath, I should not forget, I practically have three weeks of vacation without having to do anything at all - Awesome.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment