Sunday, October 31, 2010

House Guests and How to Talk to British People

So here I am again, totally tired and yet still awake. Why should I be sleeping, it's only half eight. Which, by the way is 8:30 and not 7:30 as it would be in German. So why am I so tired? Good question, and I do not really have an answer to that. But let's go through it in chronological order. Sunday after I finished writing I spent the rest of the day doing nothing, in the evening Dan's brother Jase and his friend Paul came by to stay over this week, and Paul's brother came for a short visit on Sonday as well. We played poker, and drank some beers. On Monday I got up quite early, in order to do some work before my lectures, but the state of which we've left the kitchen on Sunday, and the fact that the landlady was about to come by in the afternoon left me no choice but to spend two hours of cleaning the kitchen. The landlady came, and checked if we would not leave the house in a total mess, that really confused my quite a bit, I cannot imagine something like that happening in Germany, but maybe I am totally wrong there. So I went to uni without having anything done for the week yet. I came home at 7 and was just looking forward to go asleep, when Dan convinced me to join him, Jase, Paul and Anton for a pint of beer, naturally I was up for that, and so we went to a pub that served beer for a pound a pint, which is a ridiculously good offer. So we've had quite a few. I had a great time talking to Jase, Paul and Dan. Wait, not with Anton? No, because they did not let him in because he didn't have his passport with him, and the ID was noch accepted as proof of age. Weird, and really annoying.


After the pub closed, we went to a little club, because Second Bridge was full. It was a great night, but obviously didn't help me on my work. So I came home, and missed my first lecture since I didn't wake up by my alarm. Instead I had a good talk with Jase and Paul, and in the evening I was finally able to do some actual work. I finished at around 2am, and needless to say, I was pretty tired the next day as well. And as always Wednesday is not the day to be tired, seeing I have 11 hours of uni there. Well, it went all relatively smooth, English classes were good again, and I still cannot believe I am not getting bored of them. It is such a pleasure to improve each day, and I really notice that I do. I am able to follow any conversation now, I does not matter if it's a lot of people, or if it is really complicated. Also, my conversational skills have dramatically improved over the last two months.

I did not go out on Thursday night, but I was at Weatherspoon's with Andy, and tasted some delicious Ales for lunch. And yes, I also ate something there. Friday was just me waiting for Saturday basically. which was not so bad, and I cooked some delicious food. On Saturday, Gordon came by and he, Danny and I went to Bristol to meet Dan, Jase, Paul and Mark there. We thought we were going to a house party, but instead Dan, Danny, Gordon and I went to a Pub, and met the other guys later in a club.
Me being dressed up as a fat drunk German guy was a good call. Halloween was quite fun, and spending the night in Bristol was definitely a good call. Obviously it also meant that I was not in any shape to do work for uni today, So I guess next week will be pretty horrible for me in order to catch up with all that work.
Nevertheless I had a great week, and actually I was complimented, to be "the friendliest German" they know by two people in one week. This left me no chance but to feel good about myself a little bit. Looking forward to next week and the week after that and ....

Cheers

Oh, almost forgotten: We have 250 cans of beer in the house.

My awesome Halloween costume, Danny, Gordon and Dan, Mark, I and Jase, and Paul dancing (in that order from left to right)

2 comments:

  1. Jap, ich tue mein Bestes, um Deutschland als freundliches und lustiges Land in England berühmt zu machen. Freue mich schon das alles mal in deutsch jemandem zu berichten... noch ca 50 Tage. Darauf freu ich mich am Meisten!

    ReplyDelete