Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Last week in England

The last few days or even weeks were really silent around me and I have to apologize for that. It was not that I did not want to write nor was it because I did not have anything to write about; on the contrary, so much was going on that I had troubles finding some spare seconds.
My London trip is long gone yet you did not hear from it which is not so bad seeing that London is a city everyone should visit and everyone has heard a lot about it already. Needless to say going there with my good international friends was even better. The week after that, I visited Anna Lena in Coventry. We were really indecisive about what language we should speak and spoke a funny mixture of German and English. After going clubbing on Friday night, Anna Lena and I went to the Christmas market in Birmingham because, and I quote, "Coventry is a bit ugly". The Christmas market was fun, the university of Warwick in Coventry was big - just big - and obviously I had to miss my train and return an hour late. I do not know what it is with me and trains....


Coming home on Saturday at 10:30 and being really tired made me really want to go out with my room mates and some international Students. That was brilliant, and the end of a long party weekend. On Sunday I caught up on my studies and was really pleased when I saw the results later in the week.

This week was a strange week in so many ways so let me start by telling you about the facts rather than the feelings first. I had a Christmas dinner with my VIP-friends on Monday, had a great night with Dan on Tuesday, had the best day on Wednesday (are you getting used to me loving my Wednesday? You really should), was at Mathilde's on Thursday and had some friends over on Friday. I really have to tell you more about all of those events but fact is, the train I am sitting in right now is about to arrive Dover soon, so I have to pick out two events to tell you about. I think I have to pick the Wednesday just because that is what made the week special in so many ways and the second thing might be Friday because I am always thinking about myself rather than others.


My Wednesday started with getting up really early and trying to get to lectures, which just did not happen, instead I went to uni for the Globe Café. Since it was the last Lunch at the chaplaincy before Christmas, they had a "Christmas Globe" with great food, a small speech from a guy of the Christian Union, carol singing and a small present for us. It was so much fun, I cannot even describe it. Ever since I have heard of it I went to the Globe Café and it always was worth it, mainly because I met great people there and I always had a nice chat and a hot coffee there. Needless to say the last Globe was better than ever and brought me into a great Christmas mood. After the Globe me and Cynthia headed to our English class. After one and a half hour of serious work, we had our break and started with our Christmas celebration which was all about singing, eating, watching a great film and having fun. I was so happy to hear that the classes continue in 2011 because I really like the people in my class and I really would miss them all. After the classes we went to the Abbey to enjoy the carol service and Jan and I had a quick Dinner at Cynthia's first. First time I've eaten something Chinese; absolutely lovely. The carol service was better than I had ever imagined. You could literally feel Christmas coming inside the Abbey and filling your heart. I was so happy, so at peace with everything, I had the feeling nothing could go wrong in this week. And I was not to far off. Since I had to cook on Thursday, I had to go to the shops after the carol service, so my day ended here. I did not mind, you should always stop when it is the most fun.

Friday was quite different yet on its own quite brilliant. I woke up at 8 in the morning feeling rather tired and uninspired to do any work. I could kind of afford to be lazy since I did an awful lot of preparations on Thursday so I sat back and relaxed in the living room. Having slept in my bed with my freshly cleaned duvet was so good, that I kind of wished to return to there. At one o'clock I finally started the cooking for the evening. A Spanish starter followed by an Italian main course and a French dessert where the plan. Cooking for twenty people is not too easy and not everything worked out quite nicely. On the other hand, them coming late was a good excuse to explain why the food was not perfect. I think most of the people liked the dinner, but I was not a good host which kind of annoys me. I cannot change what happened and I will try hard to do things better the next time. The evening ended with some of us going clubbing in XL which was a lot of fun and I was lucky and drunk when I fell asleep. The Saturday was my cleaning day. Thanks to twenty guests, a hang over and me being lazy as usual, it took me the whole day to clean the kitchen, but I did not mind. There are things you have to do, if you want to have guests and that is one of those things.

I am home now, I do not want to talk about how I came home in detail, just this: My flight was cancelled so I had to take the train, ferry and cars. It was exhausting and I am so glad to be home to see my family and my good old friends from here. On the other hand it is a really strange feeling to leave my good new friends behind me in England (and France, Spain, Italy other parts of Germany and other parts of Europe and the world). Those mixed feeling will be even worse in the summer and I am not looking forward to that. On the other hand I am looking forward to everything else ahead of me. 
Especially Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment