Thursday, July 8, 2010

apartment hunting

Big News!
Naive Christoph thought he'd be the only one looking for a new home in Bath. 
WRONG!
It seems like there are lots of people looking for few houses, and that does not make my search any easier.
Also the distance between me and the Houses is making search difficult. But lets not grind about that for now. Living in the UK as a student is different to living in Germany. While the usual form of living in Germany is to have your own apartment with your own bath, your own kitchen, in the UK you practically have to share. Also one cannot compare this to so called Wohngemeinschaften, or at least not to the Wohngemeinschaften I know. In Germany you practically always have your own big room, and maybe a little place to meet your roomie (I like that word). In England your private place mostly is a bed and a desk, Period. You really live with at least 3 other students in the same house, like a family. You don't pay for room size, you pay for kitchen and lounge size. This way of live - although I have not experienced it yet - amazes me. It's the ideal way in my opinion, but coming from such a big family that does not surprise anyone I guess.
The only downside is: This makes it even harder to find a place to live, since you need to come along really good with the people you'll be dining, laughing, talking, drinking, watching stupid TV shows or shortly said living together for the next 9 months.

So, I guess that's it for today - one last thing for fun: 
Tourist: Can you tell me the way to Bath please?
Policeman: Well, first you turn on the hot and cold taps then ...

Cheerio my dear friends.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heiko,

    Ich habe ein Haus gefunden, ja. Ich bin noch in Deutschland, und die Woche auch nochmal im Classic. Ich werde entweder Ende August oder Anfang September nach England fliegen. Werde mich melden, sobald ich den genauen Termin weiß. Natürlich würde ich mich freuen. Vielleicht sehen wir uns die Woche nochmal, ansonsten auch dir eine schöne Zeit im guten alten England ;)

    Bis bald, Chris

    ReplyDelete